On 29th March 2017 Wyke played in the semi-final/final competition of the Davison cup (which involved most primary schools on North Dorset).  Wyke’s A Team played Downlands school in the semi-final.  It was a close-fought, competitive contest with Downlands eventually winning 2-0 due to two first half goals.  Wyke came back strongly in the second half but were unable to score.  Wyke then played Shaftesbury primary in the 3rd/4th place play-off.  This was an incredibly exciting match with both teams playing to their best.  Wyke went 2-0 up relatively early on and were in control for the first half.  However, Shaftesbury fought back, scoring two goals themselves to take the match into extra time.  During the extra time period, Shaftesbury went 3-2 up, with the score staying that way until near the end of the match.  Wyke then equalised with a well-executed goal.  This took the match to penalties, with each team selecting 5 players to take a penalty each.  At the end of this penalty shoot-out, the two teams were still locked together, having scored two penalties each!  This meant the game went to a sudden death penalty shoot-out!  Benjamin bravely took the responsibility for taking Wyke’s first sudden-death penalty, coolly slotting it into the corner of the net.  The Shaftesbury player then stepped up and took his, hitting the post!  This meant Wyke took third place out of the thirty teams that had originally entered the tournament – an excellent achievement.  Credit goes to Luke for some excellent goalkeeping, Rylea and Tom for some tenacious defending, Callum for good defending and (later on) as a very skillful midfield asset to the team, Benjamin for providing the cool head and pivot around which the team played, Oscar for his pace, ball control and determination up front, Josh for again demonstrating some fantastic skill combined with flexibility and endurance, Matt for always being reliable, clever and determined up front and Alex for his intelligent team sense and very positive attitude.  

Wyke’s B Team played 3 games in the tournament. With short one way games they had to attack and play hard from the start, which they did very well. Owain and Kieran defended strongly and Charlie made some awesome saves for the team. Owen, Jake and Harry pushed up hard in the middle with tackles and dribbles to the front with Rudy and Harry taking some shots on goal. The team drew 0-0 with Gillingham and Milton and lastly drew 1-1 with St Mary’s Marnhull. They just missed getting into the semi-finals by 1 point. Great effort!

Well done to all of them, they should be very proud!